FS: COSMOS CMS-16/UNX, Vintage UNIX Computer and Sun Multibus boards
Mike Nowlen
2003-11-01 18:21:01 UTC
For Sale: COSMOS CMS-16/UNX, Vintage UNIX Computer and Sun Multibus
boards

I have COSMOS CMS-16/UNX system available, probably early 80's. I
understand it ran a Unisoft port of v7 UNIX in a 8Mhz 68000 CPU and
1MB of RAM with Intel Multibus. Some of the boards were also used in
Sun Multibus systems

-System Shelf - 9 slot Multibus with Power Supply, Front Cover and Key
Switch with Key
-CMT-CPU Multibus 68000 Processor Board, w/ Manual
-QTY 2, PSM 512A Multibus Error Correcting DRAM Boards, w/ Manual
-Interphase SMD 2181 Storage Module Controller/Formatter,(used in Sun)
w/Manual
-Ciprico Tapemaster 1/2" Tape Drive Controller (used in Sun)

See pictures of the above at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mnowlen/cosmos.html

I also have another Multibus chassis with power supply available along
with some auxiliary bus connectors.

Please e-mail any offers for part or whole.
Thanks for reading,

Mike Nowlen
Reston, VA
***@comcast.net
(703) 716-1363
Al Kossow
2003-11-01 20:07:18 UTC
Post by Mike Nowlen
For Sale: COSMOS CMS-16/UNX, Vintage UNIX Computer and Sun Multibus
boards
-CMT-CPU Multibus 68000 Processor Board, w/ Manual
This unit does not have a SUN style CPU board. In the picture, a daughter card
with 68000 and Motorola 68451 MMU is visible.

SUN CPU boards have a discrete MMU made from SRAMs
DoN. Nichols
2003-11-02 00:09:27 UTC
Post by Al Kossow
Post by Mike Nowlen
For Sale: COSMOS CMS-16/UNX, Vintage UNIX Computer and Sun Multibus
boards
-CMT-CPU Multibus 68000 Processor Board, w/ Manual
This unit does not have a SUN style CPU board. In the picture, a daughter card
with 68000 and Motorola 68451 MMU is visible.
SUN CPU boards have a discrete MMU made from SRAMs
Agreed -- but he did not *claim* that the CPU board was by Sun.

He said that *some* of the boards were used in Suns -- and that
is correct. The tape controller, and the SMD disk controller were used
in Suns, and the 512K ECC memory boards could easily be used in Suns,
though I don't know whether they ever were.

I have one of these systems (and I live not too far away from
the poster, FWIW -- we may have gotten them from the same hamfest years
ago. :-)

I also have a Sun 2/120 for comparison, and have migrated some
of the cards between systems.

That daughterboard with the MMU is one of the things that made
v7 unix more reasonable on this system.

I got quite a few years out of my system, and learned a lot from
it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <***@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols
2003-11-02 00:35:57 UTC
Post by Mike Nowlen
For Sale: COSMOS CMS-16/UNX, Vintage UNIX Computer and Sun Multibus
boards
An interesting bit of history.
Post by Mike Nowlen
I have COSMOS CMS-16/UNX system available, probably early 80's. I
understand it ran a Unisoft port of v7 UNIX in a 8Mhz 68000 CPU and
1MB of RAM with Intel Multibus. Some of the boards were also used in
Sun Multibus systems
I have one similar -- except that it also has a separate card to
talk to a 16 serial port box external to the machine.
Post by Mike Nowlen
-System Shelf - 9 slot Multibus with Power Supply, Front Cover and Key
Switch with Key
-CMT-CPU Multibus 68000 Processor Board, w/ Manual
Hmm ... I'm trying to remember whether there was a manual for my
CPU board. There were manuals for many of the other boards.
Post by Mike Nowlen
-QTY 2, PSM 512A Multibus Error Correcting DRAM Boards, w/ Manual
These were faster than the original RAM boards supplied with the
system. As a result, the dhrystone benchmarks were somewhat improved.

* MACHINE MICROPROCESSOR OPERATING COMPILER DHRYSTONES/SEC.
* TYPE SYSTEM NO REG REGS
* -------------------------- ------------ ----------- ---------------
* Cosmos 68000-8Mhz UniSoft cc 305 322
* Cosmos 68000-8Mhz UniSoft cc 365 394 - My machine (Plessy ram cards)

Here are the entries from my copy of the dhrystone sources. As
a comparison, here are a couple of other nearby entries:

* turbo XT v20-4.77Mhz MSDOS 3.2 MIX C 35 35
* turbo XT v20-6.67Mhz MSDOS 3.2 MIX C 56 56
* IBM PC/XT 8088-4.77Mhz PC/IX cc 257 287
* IBM PC/XT 8088-4.77Mhz VENIX/86 2.0 cc 297 324
* IBM PC 8088-4.77Mhz MSDOS 2.0 b16cc 2.0 310 340
* IBM PC 8088-4.77Mhz MSDOS 2.0 CI-C86 2.20M 390 390
* IBM PC/XT 8088-4.77Mhz PCDOS 2.1 Lattice 2.15 403 - @
* PDP-11/34 - UNIX V7M cc 387 438
* Onyx C8002 Z8000-4Mhz IS/1 1.1 (V7) cc 476 511
Post by Mike Nowlen
-Interphase SMD 2181 Storage Module Controller/Formatter,(used in Sun)
w/Manual
I used this with Fijitsu M2312K 84MB 8" SMD drives. And yes,
they were also used in Sun-2 machines.
Post by Mike Nowlen
-Ciprico Tapemaster 1/2" Tape Drive Controller (used in Sun)
Ditto -- With a Cipher front-loading 9-track tape drive.
Post by Mike Nowlen
See pictures of the above at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mnowlen/cosmos.html
I also have another Multibus chassis with power supply available along
with some auxiliary bus connectors.
This was probably the chassis which held one 8" floppy, one
floppy controller (from SASI -- the predecessor to SCSI), and
(marginally) one 84MB 8" Fujitsu M2312K. (The power supply was rather
strained in this case.) I first ran it with a 10MB 8" drive controlled
from the same SASI/SCSI controller card, which could handle two 8"
floppies and two of the 10MB Seagate drives at once -- but not all in
that one chassis. :-)
Post by Mike Nowlen
Please e-mail any offers for part or whole.
Not really interested in having another. The one I have has been
retired for quite some time, though I may connect it back up someday.

FWIW -- the Unisoft port of the C compiler left a lot to be
desired. It seems that if the PDP-11 did not have a similar
instruction, the compiler did without it -- other than the "LINK" and
"ULNK" instructions. I was using both it and a 3b1 to crack a password
entry on a Tektronix 6130 (NS 32016 CPU), and the speed difference
between the two was a lot larger than could be accounted for by the
difference between 8MHz and 10MHz, and even the difference between the
68000 and the 68010, so I would up looking at the assembly-language code
generated by the two machines for some simple programs. :-)

I learned a *lot* about unix from my machine -- including how to
patch the kernel to change the timezone, since it was assumed that you
would have the source to re-compile the kernel, and I did not -- and the
company which made the machine was already dead by the time I realized
the problem.

But it took me a while to get confident enough to patch the
kernel -- so I named the machine "Owlsley", on the theory that someone
who had his record would probably be unclear about having changed
timezone, so I could live with the compiled-in PDT.

Fixing things when the DST change algorithm changed by law was a
different matter. I was able to re-compile a new library from
net-available sources for programs which *I* compiled, but any which
came with the system were a different matter -- and this machine was
from before the concept of shared libs would allow a fix to become
global. :-)
Post by Mike Nowlen
Thanks for reading,
Mike Nowlen
Reston, VA
You're not too far away. I'm in Vienna, VA. :-)

And I'm not going to try e-mail -- simply because something has
gone wrong, and I've received no e-mail today. I'm not yet sure why.

Enjoy,
DoN.

P.S. Aside from the 68000 CPU -- I'm not quite sure why it is in
comp.sys.3b1, unless you figure that anyone with an interest
in 3b1s (also 68k powered -- the 68010) might be interested
in all 68k powered unix boxen. I know that I was interested in
such, and remained with the 68k family up through the last of
the Sun-3 line. (My Sun Ultra-2 doesn't know what I'm talking
about. :-)
--
Email: <***@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564